Thursday, January 30, 2020

Forming an Opportunity

1. The older generations of people need a phone that is made for them.

2. This unmet need arose because the most popular options for phones are difficult to use for some people. The need is for a phone that is very easy to use and accessible for older people. Phones are hard to use if you are not used to it, and it can cause problems of frustration for those that find it difficult. Currently, there are software programs people are using to dumb down phones. I am 70% sure this opportunity exists.

3. The protypical customer would be someone between the ages of 60-80

4. The first protypical customer I am going to interview is my grandma.
I asked my grandma the following questions and added her answers below.

What is the exact nature of the need?
My current iphone is too hard to use because of how complicated it is

When do they become aware of the need -- that is, do they experience their need all the time or only sometimes?
I experience the need almost every time I use my phone

How long have they had the need?
I have had the need since I got the phone

When did they first become aware of their need? Why?
Once I became very fustrated with how hard it was to place a simple phone call, I want something thats easier to use and still up to date

How are they currently addressing their need?
I am searching for new phones that are easier to use

How satisfied are they with this solution?
I am still in the process of shopping for a new phone

5. I learned that my grandma is very interested in the opportunity as she is having a lot of difficulty using her phone. She grew up in a time where they did not use as much electronics as we do and is very confused with anything too technological. I think asking other people her age would really help to find out if other people are experiencing it as well.

Next, I interviewed my grandma's friend Barbara

What is the exact nature of the need?
I need a way to contact my friends

When do they become aware of the need -- that is, do they experience their need all the time or only sometimes?
I experience it anytime I want to talk to my friends

How long have they had the need?
I have always had the need

How are they currently addressing their need?
I am not doing anything to address my need

How satisfied are they with this solution?
Not satisfied

I decided to ask my grandpa the same set of questions and added his answers below.

What is the exact nature of the need?
I am having trouble using my iphone and want something easier to use

When do they become aware of the need -- that is, do they experience their need all the time or only sometimes?
I experience the need whenever I try to text someone I cant figure it out

How long have they had the need?
I have had the need for a year now

When did they first become aware of their need? Why?
I first became aware of the need today once you mentioned it, I didnt think it was a big deal until now

How are they currently addressing their need?
I am not doing anything to adress my need

How satisfied are they with this solution?
I am not satisfied

5. My grandpa seems to be having the same issue as my grandma. It seems like he also wants to have a more simple device to be able to call people and use as a phone. He thinks the current phones are too complicated and wants something easy. He is used to a lot more simple tools.

7. How much of your original opportunity is still there?
I think after doing this minimal research that there is a pretty big opportunity out there to make phones designed for older people.
Do you believe that your new opportunity is more accurate than when you started?
Yes, I think now that the opportunity is more accurate than when I started. It seems like a lot of older people would be interested given my grandparents are an accurate representation for them.
How much do you think entrepreneurs should 'adapt' their opportunities based on customer feedback? (In other words, is there a trade-off between adapting and staying firm?)
158049000001/31/202012:00pm

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,
    Your post was very relatable. I remember when my grandparents first got iPhones, I had to sit down and teach them everything, even how to simply take a photo. There are still many functions of the iPhone that they are not even aware of. I think it would be a good idea to develop a more user-friendly phone for older users. Another solution would be offering classes or instructional videos. I feel that your interviews allowed for older users’ perspectives to be shown. However, you are missing a third interview. So, in the future, you could possibly ask an elder who knows how to use their cellphones and see how they were able to learn.
    Best of Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel. I think you have a good idea. Most elderly people are not interested in a phone with tons of apps. They mostly want something to make a call on, possibly text, and check their email. They could benefit from something much simpler and easier to use. Larger text and a larger keypad for texting would also be helpful. I also like Madylin's idea to offer classes for older people who would like to learn how to use current technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a good idea! Anyone who has an older relative has witnessed this firsthand. One thing I was add is that there are already companies that are trying to corner this market. They provide simple flip phones for a very low price. But, many seniors could still benefit from a more advanced smart phone. I like the idea of offering classes to help them better understand how their phone works! They have lots of money and plenty of time after-all.

    ReplyDelete