Thursday, February 27, 2020

13A Reading Reflection 1

Reading Reflection 1 Steve Jobs
What surprised you the most?
-I think what surprised me the most while reading this book was Steve Jobs dropped out of college to travel through India. When thinking about CEOs and people that have a lot of money you assume that they went to an ivy league or other top university. It is very surprising to me how much success Steve had despite not finishing college. Another surprise to me is that he traveled throughout India seeking enlightenment and studied Buddhism. I learned that Steve Jobs is a pretty enlightened individual and probably learned a lot about himself while studying that. It is really interesting to me that he had that experience in India before starting Apple.

What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
- What I admired the most about Steve Jobs was his drive to never give up. When he was faced with very difficult situations he kept on working hard and didn't just quit. An example of this was when he got forced to leave Apple in 1985. Jobs lost his job and was put in a position where he was no longer with Apple. Jobs did not just quit and stop working at his goals. He instead went on to create his own new company that was called NeXT. It was Job's drive to never give up that allowed him to be able to eventually make his way up to the top of Apple again. 

What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
- What I admired the least about Steve Jobs was his ego. I think because Steve Jobs was so much smarter than everyone else, he saw himself as better than everyone. He was described by many people as difficult to work with because of that. Steve would often share with people how much smarter he was than them and acted like it. I do not like this part of Steve because I think having a very high ego is a bad trait. I do not like when people act as if they are better than everyone else as it makes others feel bad.

Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
-Steve Jobs encountered a lot of adversity and failure. He did not let anything get in his way of success. Jobs was first placed through struggles when he was placed up for adoption by his mother. She did not want his biological father to know, and placed him up for adoption in San Francisco without his knowledge. Steve was then forced to grow up with his foster parents. Jobs did not see it that way. Jobs loved his foster parents so much that he saw them as his real parents and his biological parents as a sperm bank. 

What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? 
The competencies I noticed Steve Jobs exhibited was his creativity. Jobs was able to create something that no one had ever even imagined before. He continuously was the pioneer for new emerging trends in the computer market. Steve was able to eventually create one of the most revolutionary trends in the world: Portable computers. He was able to create this new virtual network which allowed for everyone to be connected. He was such a creative and unique individual to be able to be the first one to imagine this.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
A part of the reading that was most confusing to me was what happened when Steve Jobs got his job at Attari. I am confused about what happened with pong that allowed Steve to be able to get the job even though he didnt even make the game.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
If I was able to ask Steve Jobs two questions, I would try to ask him about when he came up with the idea of having an Iphone. I would ask him this because I am so interested with how he came up with the idea. It seems like such a revolutionary idea compared to the time before it. Another question I would ask about is what is his biggest limiteation. I am very curious to what holds him back and what he needs to work on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,
    I enjoyed reading your post because it was about a book that I have not read. I found it very interesting because I didn't know a lot of these things about Steve Jobs. I agree with what you least admire because I also do not like when people have to prove or show off their intelligence. Overall, your post was very informative and detailed.
    ~Mady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel!

    I think that creativity is one of the key traits of an entrepreneur that is often overlooked. I agree with you that Jobs not only exhibited creativity, but I believe it was fundamental to his success. Creativity is the key to being able to solve problems in new ways by imagining things that have never existed before. In the case of Jobs, I agree that his ego was a problem and that's a big part of his story that we can all learn from. I'd also be very interested to hear his answer to your question about how he came up with the revolutionary idea for the iPhone, and how he was constantly coming up with new ideas to make technology simpler and more user friendly. Great post! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete